This is a change to the advertised schedule 🙂
Today I was going to talk about my pet subject of clean eating, but actually, my own personal situation has moved my hand to write about self-care.
Tomorrow there won’t be a blog post because I’m taking the day off.
Apart from hosting my daily “My Spring Renewal” call at 4:00pm, I’ll be spending the day 100% focused on me and my own wellbeing.
A former version of me would never have done this. I would have either pushed myself to produce and depleted myself even further, or disappeared completely and hope no-one would notice!
I’m not disappearing, but I am taking a step back to rest, rejuvenate and re-orientate myself ready for the final week of March and the entire month of April. I want to move forward in a whole new way, a more powerful, energised and focused way, and without taking a big step back I won’t be able to do that.
This time we find ourself in is truly demanding on so many different levels, especially if you’re naturally empathic, which I am.
While we all find ourselves in a different set of circumstances, ultimately we all need to monitor and take care of ourselves physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually – to a much higher level than normal.
It’s important that you hear this, especially if you had not yet registered that it’s required.
Everyone is facing their own set of challenges right now.
One of my best friends is working on the front line in hospitals within the USA.
Another is now running her business from home for the first time and having to find new ways of managing her team and all that goes with that.
Another is recovering from covid-19 at home in London.
Within my own family, I have one family member who now has zero income practically overnight and both kids home from school. I have another who now has their child back at home full-time while their partner is still focused on growing a new business.
I have grandparents and parents who are self-isolating completely because of their age. My parents are fine, but my grandfather’s health is changing everyday, is back on the decline, and he’s already been attended to by paramedics once in the past week.
For my part, I simply have too many plates spinning internally and externally and have taken too much on. In my bid to help as many people as possible and drawing from my well quicker than I’ve been refilling it, I’ve depleted myself, got out of balance, and good for me for admitting it before it goes too far!
If I keep on pushing through I run the risk of getting ill on one level or another, and I am too far down the track of self-awareness to allow that to happen or to go another step further.
And so Friday is a “Reset Day” for me.
I know what I need to do, I’ve already created my plan, and so today I’m going to share some simple self-care ideas with you, ranging from the basic and obvious through to full-blown reset day ideas like mine.
Use what you need, leave the rest, but most importantly of all, please know when you are overdoing it – see the signs early – and don’t be afraid to take or do what you need. Our biggest responsibility at this time is to look after ourselves so that we don’t become a burden to others, the healthcare system, unfit to do our work or parenting or become a negative role model. There is nothing inspirational about watching someone exhaust themselves! Plus it’s not so enjoyable for those self-depleting either, amiright?!
So here’s some ideas for you to get the ball rolling. Pay attention to the ones that pique your interest or energy – this is your subconscious’ way of getting your attention. Best to listen now before you need to take a whole day off like me!
- Disconnect from social media – for me this is one of the single biggest drains right now. Not everyone is handling their words with forethought 🙂
- Have a nice hot bath or shower and take extra time. Use your best products and INDULGE yourself. Out the other side, use your softest fluffiest towels and give yourself permission to stay wrapped in them for as long as you want to.
- Eat super-clean or water fast. Employing some kind of structure/control around your eating habits, even for just one day, will prevent you from snacking, overeating or reaching for comfort food when your emotions start to rise and you automatically reach for food. If you don’t yet have a copy of my free “Go Raw for a Day” eBook, keep reading to the end of this post for info about how to get it. This is a great plan to follow to get your physical mojo back!
- Go to bed extra-early. Either gain an extra hour or two of sleep or read a book that feels like a treat and just enjoy the rest.
- Watch a film in bed. Preferably something that makes you feel better and makes you laugh 😉
- Tidy/purge any obvious clutter. You can do a deeper clean when you have more time to do it, if time is in short supply.
- Give yourself a full-blown mani/pedi. It’s a simple act but it gives back more than it takes, and makes you smile every time you look at your nails 🙂
- Give yourself a facial. This might be as simple as a thorough cleanse, tone and moisturise, but then you might want to add in an exfoliation or face mask, or both. I’ve been spending a lot more time focused on my skin recently because stress shows on my face, which is never a good look!
- Journal it out. I spend time every morning journaling as I shared in the Morning Ritual post. For me this is a daily standard, BUT sometimes when life feels too much or certain things are being buried, we all need a way to get everything out. For me this is journaling or sometimes I will even put myself into a self-coaching session and literally speak back and forth to myself out loud. (It works!)
- Draw out your emotions with pens, paints or pencils. For those who don’t like journaling or want to try something different, drawing out your feelings through pictures can be soo incredibly insightful and will show you exactly what’s up for you right now and what your truth is.
- Get rid of any junk/recycling/trash or anything else that shouldn’t be in your home. Even if it means temporarily stashing it in a shed, garage, attic or basement, anything that you know you don’t want around you can be a serious energy drain and/or distraction and ultimately you’ll feel so much better when it’s out of your way.
- Make a list of priorities. The things that are non-negotiable and that you must absolutely take care of are, of course, the things you must focus on first. Top of that list should be you, then those who depend on you for life, safety or food, and then whoever/whatever else is important in your life. If you have any space left after that then make choices based on what will fill you up first, or at least be neutral in energy in versus energy out. Keep the energy drainers to an absolute minimum or eliminate them completely if possible.
- Limit watching the news. Once a day is actually enough to stay abreast of what’s what. More than that and you need to ask yourself what are you actually looking for? The answer, if you’re honest, will be very revealing!
- Limit phone time. This is always a good recommendation, but for me the biggest drain has been the amount of emails, texts, voicemails and phone calls coming in. I literally haven’t been able to keep up with them. I don’t want to miss anything important, so part of my reset day is setting some time aside to go through every unread email and get my inbox down to zero.
- Unsubscribe from anything or anyone who is not serving you or resonating with you. I have actually been unsubbing from emails and newsletters since January. This is because I realised how many irrelevant emails I was receiving and I was continually hitting delete which is not the most efficient approach to unwanted emails. This is a great time to get clear on what matters most to you right now and will matter 3 months from now and then delete all the rest.
When it comes to a Reset Day, I would encourage you, if you feel so-called to download the free gift from Day 3 “How to Create a Perfect Day for Yourself” and create your perfect reset day. (This is what I did.) This way you have a process to work through and it will give you some considered structure to your plan rather than just making a random list and hoping you’ve got everything covered!
Some of the things included in my Reset Day are:
- Getting up early
- Catching up with self-study programs
- Going through emails
- Paying bills
- Going for a solo walk across fields and sitting down in the sun to write
- Honest journaling session
- Revisiting my annual goals
- Clearing paper piles
- Tidying my dressing table
- Ordering new bullet journal for April
- Write outstanding to-do list and scheduling items in
- Revisiting Daily Routine
- Drinking lots and lots of water
- Creating my own personal curriculum
Every Reset Day will be different because it depends what’s got out of hand and what needs addressing, however this should give you a good idea of what it could include, especially if you’ve never heard of one before.
With every post I share a free gift that I feel is pertinent to whatever I’ve been writing about.
This is great news for you as each gift is juicy, highly usable and valuable, and also it genuinely makes me feel good to gift it. So it’s all a win-win 🙂
There is no opt-in required, just click on the link below and enjoy.
Today’s gift is an invaluable type-able workbook (PDF file): How to Get Out of Overwhelm
PLUS the accompanying spreadsheet referenced at the end of the workbook can be downloaded here.
This workbook is a Godsend if you feel so overwhelmed that you don’t know which way to turn. I have used it more than once and I’m about to use it again tomorrow.
Click to open the PDF file or right-click to save.
Want to dive deeper and spend more time with me?
Two options are currently available:
Raw Magic & Mastery – 4-months, already 3/4 month in. Suitable for those who are already into raw food and want to eat more and change their life in profound ways.
My Spring Renewal – 6-week program, started this week. Suitable for anyone! Half usual price. Don’t miss this amazing opportunity to get inspiration, a life-changing program and support. This program has become super-popular because it’s the perfect support & inspiration system for right now. It’s not too late to join!
Want to get an update on when each new blog is posted? Click here to receive immediate notifications when blog posts go live.
Want to be on my email list so that you receive additional goodies, articles, bonuses, recipe downloads and more? Click here to opt-in and select GIFT: GRFAD (Go Raw for a Day) to receive a welcome gift right away.
Coming Saturday: Eating FRESH food for maximum immunity, vitality and lifting your mood
I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
I’d love to know…
- How is your energy right now and how are you managing it?
- What are your favourite self-care activities?
Please go ahead and share in the comment section below.
And if you feel this has brought value to your life and you want to share this post, YES! Please do. Thank you in advance.
If you want to go back to the beginning of this series…