This is a fantastic fresher take on commercial coleslaw that’s as versatile as it is delicious. You can use your coleslaw as a side dish, mix it into a salad for a whole new experience, or use it as a topping or filling for a “meatier” recipe such as a veggienut burger or a raw sweet potato salad recipe.
- Food Processor
For the slaw:
- 4 large carrots
- 1 small onion
- 1 small cabbage
For the mayo:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1.5 cups cashew nuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon healthy salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Chop the carrots, cabbage and onion into fairly small pieces and place in a food processor. “Pulse” until your ingredients are well combined and appear the perfect slaw shape and size. Pour them into a large bowl ready for mixing.
- Rinse your food processor, then add the mayo ingredients. Be sure to mix very well, adding more water if needed or desired. (It all depends how thick and creamy you like your mayo. NB: This mayo thickens VERY well in the fridge so make it a little runnier than you think for your perfect level of creaminess.)
- When fully blended, pour three-quarters of the mayo on top of the slaw and mix with
a large spoon (or hands!); see how well your mixture is coated. If it’s fine, you’re done. If you need more coverage, add more mayo.
- Any leftover mayo can be used as a dip or sauce for other dishes during the week.
- Fridge life of mayo is 5–7 days; the final coleslaw mixture with mayo will be good for 3 or 4 days in the fridge.
Not yet subscribed to my blog? Click here to receive immediate notifications when blog posts go live.
Want the printable version of this recipe? Click here!
This recipe was published in my weekly eZine last Friday. If you’re not yet a subscriber to the “Successfully Raw” eZine and would like to be, click here to reserve your weekly copy delivered every Friday.